Monday, September 21, 2009

Hegel and Schopenhauer

I figured this wouldn't be a productive point to bring up in class, but it would make a nice blog post.

It struck me through the chapter that Hegel's Force seems a lot like Schopenhauer's Will (note: I have only experienced Schopenhauer through secondary sources, Dr. Anderson, and Nietzsche, so I might be off). There's an inner secret world (world-as-will), and a world of appearance (world-as-representation), but the thing that observes force and makes it manifest is actually force itself (just as we, for Schopenhauer, are manifestations of the will). Force and its expression are one, just as the will and its appearance are two sides of the same coin. I also don't think it would be unfair to draw a parallel between Schopenhauer's use of "Platonic" Ideas and Hegel's Laws.

I have no doubt that I've misread Hegel, misread Schopenhauer, or perhaps both, but it's an interesting thought.

1 comment:

  1. Just as an anecdotal quote: "Do not let yourself be misled by outward appearnaces; in the depths everything becomes law." -Rainer Maria Rilke

    If only he would have continued the necissary movement to the inverted world and beyond!

    ReplyDelete