Sunday, September 13, 2009

Moments of Clarity

Are the best (no matter how quickly you fall back into frustration). I thought I would bring up a couple things:
1. Should we forget the idea of meeting once a week? I know work schedules are unpredictable and it is difficult to find a good time for everyone. We can simply get together to talk in smaller groups whenever it strikes us as convenient. On the other hand, the more time we have to discuss Hegel the better, and not having a crutch (Mr. Davis) may be a good thing. Let me know what you all think.
2. I think it is worth bringing up the question of changing our future reading schedule. I suspect that I am not alone in wanting to maximize Hegel study time even if that means reducing other readings. But I don't assume that everyone feels that way. I don't know if Mr. Davis feels that to be out of the question, but I do have a feeling that he would crack under the pressure of a democratic concensus. Again, let me (and everyone else) know what you think.

6 comments:

  1. P.S. The moments of clarity comment was just about reading Hegel and had no connection to the rest of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to maximise the amount of reading but, if we did so, I'm afraid I'll end up in the situation where I don't finish the reading (or something) and miss out. Perhaps we should try and make the parts we skip over part of our discussion group. As for the small groups, I'd be down for whenever (as long as I'm not in class).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I support a maximization of Hegel and keeping the same amount of Kierkegaard, which implies that we lose some Marx. I realize that some people, however, were in the class because the Marx readings fit the requirements they needed. If, because of that, losing some of the Marx is a problem than we probably shouldn't do that. Thinking about this as someone who enjoys reading philosophy outside of class I think, at least personally, I would get the most out of the Hegel and the Kierkegaard. Obviously Hegel is extremely hard and the small amount of Kierkegaard I have attempted to read was moderately difficult. The only Marx I have read is The Communist Manifesto which was not very hard and I think a fair amount of us will read or have already read in another class at some point. Das Kapital is supposed to be much harder though so that is something to think about as well...
    what it really comes down to is that I support as much Hegel as the rest of you will allow and I have always been fascinated with the religious side of existentialism, while I think political/economic philosophy is dreadfully boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote is more or less along the same lines as Mr. York. I vote we maximize Hegel time.

    I've read the Communist Manifesto before, and I did not find it particularly difficult (but it was a long time ago, and I might have missed something). I'd like to read parts of Das Kapital, though.

    With regard to Kierkegaard, I'd like to spend more time on Philosophical Fragments than Fear and Trembling. Philosophical Fragments seems a lot harder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur with the general consensus about Hegel. Maximizing Hegel devotions sounds like a good idea.

    With regard to Kierkegaard, I had been wanting to spend more time with Fear and Trembling, but whatever we wind up doing will be fine.

    I have no strong feelings about Marx one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For Hegel, I think we might very well need to maximise it. I definitely feel that I'm not understanding the text as well as I want to.
    I've read and taken a course on Fear and Trembling already, but have no objection to spending as much time with it as possible; Kierkegaard is amazing.

    As for Marx, my main interest is seeing how Hegelian thought fits into Das Kapital. I've read both the Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital before.

    ReplyDelete